If you’re used to excelling in the classroom, if you’re interested in learning new things, or you’re thinking you may continue on to graduate school, then you might be honors material at SUNY Cortland.
The College’s Honors Program encourages strong students to apply for membership. High-achieving accepted students soon will receive an invitation, although others – including transfers and current students – may also apply.
Acceptance brings with it a $2,000 annual scholarship for up to four years, provided students maintain good academic standing.
Other Honors Program benefits include:
- Honors-exclusive courses with some of SUNY Cortland’s best professors
- Early registration for courses
- Invitations to special trips and activities plus access to an Honors Lounge
- Special designation on diplomas and transcripts
- Excellent preparation for master’s or doctoral programs
Honors courses are designed meet either general education (GE) or major requirements. The curriculum includes special topics courses, applied learning opportunities and special pathways to research.
Applicants are asked to submit an essay of 2 to 3 double-spaced pages to email@example.com that answers one of the questions below. An essay submission will indicate that you would like to be considered for Honors Program admission.
- Describe how you became interested in the field you are considering as a major. If you undecided on a major, discuss an academic interest you would like to explore in depth.
- Describe a teacher who has influenced you. What made that person special and how did that person change you?
Preferred consideration from the Honors Program Committee will be given to applicants who meet an April 4 deadline. However, applications will be accepted until Monday, May 1.